Soccer fans are not happy after Katy Perry was announced as the headliner for the 2026 FIFA World Cup Opening Ceremony.
The 41-year-old singer was announced as the headliner on Friday, May 8, and many in the soccer community had strong opinions on the choice. Pop Crave shared the announcement on their X account and the comments section featured a mixed bag of reactions.
Many were against the organization’s decision to sign her as the headliner, with one commenter writing, « I honestly think they could’ve picked someone better. »
« On behalf of the football community we don’t know Katy Perry, » another added. A third wrote, « What songs will she be performing, this World Cup is proving to be a disaster! »
MEGAN RAPINOE TAKES ISSUE WITH US MEN’S SOCCER’S WORLD CUP CAMPAIGN SLOGAN
A fourth commenter chimed in adding, « she doesn’t have any current hits so what is she going to sing?? Roar?? Wide awake?? The one that got away? Last Friday night? »
Others came to her defense, citing her Super Bowl halftime show performance in 2015 as evidence that she will put on a great show.
« Yo Katy Perry headlines the World Cup opener at SoFi. I love that, » one fan wrote. « She brings huge energy to the field. Will she drop Firework or Roar during the set? I need to see the full lineup now. This gets me pumped for June. »
Another supported added, « Katy Perry headlining the 2026 World Cup opening at SoFi is huge. June 12 gonna be iconic, » while a third wrote, « My goat she totally deserved it. »
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
Perry broke into mainstream fame in 2008 with her number one hit single, « I Kissed a Girl. » She followed that up with her hit album, « Teenage Dream, » in 2010, which included hits such as « California Gurls, » « Teenage Dream, » « Firework » and « E.T. »
Her last album, « Smile, » was released in 2020 and has released a few songs in the six years since.
Last month, Perry was in the news after « Orange Is the New Black » actress, Ruby Rose, alleged on social media that Perry sexually assaulted her at a Melbourne nightclub 20 years ago. After she came public with the allegations, Australian police began an investigation into Perry.
« Melbourne Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team (SOCIT) detectives are investigating a historical sexual assault that occurred in Melbourne in 2010, » a representative for the Victorian Police told Fox News Digital in a statement. « Police have been told the incident occurred at a licensed premises in Melbourne’s CBD. As the investigation remains ongoing, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage. »
LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? CLICK HERE FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
A representative for Perry immediately shut down the « categorically false » claims.
« The allegations being circulated on social media by Ruby Rose about Katy Perry are not only categorically false, they are dangerous, reckless lies, » a representative for Perry told Fox News Digital in a statement at the time. « Ms. Rose has a well-documented history of making serious public allegations on social media against various individuals, claims that have repeatedly been denied by those named. »
Source link : https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/katy-perry-headline-2026-fifa-world-cup-opening-ceremony-fans-debate-whether-shes-right-pick
Author :
Publish date : 2026-05-09 22:04:00
Copyright for syndicated content belongs to the linked Source.



